Sunday, December 13, 2009

Angel Wings

As I have been decorating for Christmas the past week or so, I have been reminded of my mom who passed away 7 years ago this month. I still miss her and wish that she were here to see how I have put her old decorations to use. My favorite decoration is an "ancient" nativity scene that my mom used to put on the mantle of our fireplace, without fail, every Christmas. It is so old that the poor little ceramic lamb no longer has a face. As I look at his wonderful piece of my history, I can picture the Angel Hair spread across the length of the mantle to represent snow, the tiny plastic christmas trees, the homes and town buildings made of cardboard. None of the decorations really matched the era of the nativity, but perhaps my mom was reminding us that Christ lives wherever we do. This year as I hung the little angel on the front of the nativity I was reminded of a funny story. My mom was always disturbed that angels were depicted as having wings. She used to get so irritated about that. Well, she decided to take care of that little problem and proceeded to break the wings off of every angel in our house! As I hung that angel with no wings on the nativity this year I just laughed and laughed and then felt the memory of my quirky mother fill my heart. I am grateful for that little angel and the joyful memories that it stirs inside of me.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Beth. This is Cheryl, not Larry.
    That is a funny story! Larry's mom, Lois felt the same way about angels and also about nativity scenes that include the three wise men. The scriptures say that the three wise men didn't visit Jesus unil much later. So Lois bought many copies of a really nice nativity picture mounted on carbor. Each year, when she taught the Christmas story in her church Primary class, she took a huge pair of scissors to one of those pictures and cut out the wise men from the nativity scene. The children were shocked that she would destroy church property. But they probably remembered the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you made it 2 days, that's great! I've been procrastinating setting up a blog for a year now! My mom always told me I'd never amount to anything because I always procrastinate, but I told her, YOU JUST WAIT...

    ReplyDelete