Friday, December 25, 2009

The Christmas Shoes

Last night after our fun-filled Christmas Eve celebration with our family, I came home and couldn't fall asleep. I decided to finish reading a book I had bought at the beginning of December, "The Christmas Shoes" by Donna VanLiere. I had seen the movie and have always loved the song, so I thought that reading the book would be fun since it was a short book and a fast read. It's a story about a man who has lost his "way" and a little boy whose mother has cancer and won't be with her family much longer. During the course of the story, the man and boy cross paths, and the man's life is changed forever. As I began reading the book, I thought to myself that I would read it until my eyes got heavy and I was ready to fall asleep. Well, that wasn't what happened at all. The more I read, the more profound the simple little story became. I felt a warm awakening stir inside me, the true meaning of Christmas. If you haven't read this book, you should. If your heart is heavy and your belief in God has has dwindled, read this book. It will warm your heart and enlarge your soul.



This is an excerpt written on the back cover of the book:

"If we're open to it, God can use even the smallest thing to change our lives...to change us. It might be a laughing child, car brakes that need fixing, a sale on pot roast, a cloudless sky, a trip to the woods to cut down a Christmas tree, a schoolteacher, a Dunhill Billiard pipe...or even a pair of shoes.


Some people will never believe. They may feel that such things are too trivial, too simple, or too insignificant to forever change a life. But I believe.


And I always will."


MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment